Sunday, June 16, 2019

Inspiration 3



The next major character in Lucky Thirteen is Christine Milovich. I wanted a strong female law enforcer who also has a soft side. Originally, Chris would probably have killed Ray, but that changed drastically. I invisoned the kind of officer that Angie Dickinson played in Police Woman many moons ago and Olivia Benson (Mariska Hargitay) in Law and Order SVU. However, I wanted a woman not quite a ravishing beauty or buxom--more athletic. I wanted a woman readers would love. I hope I created one.

"Come on!" He slammed the chart onto his desk. "Gimme a break! Speak to me!" he screamed.
Ray heard the response he had been expecting earlier. He looked up to see Special Agent Christine Milovich, the singular, but only, help the FBI had sent when Ray requested assistance at Easter. Chris was pretty and athletically built. Ray knew she never lacked male companionship for several of the patrolmen had asked her out since she had been there. She was almost as tall as Ray and wore her dishwater blonde hair short. Her soft brown eyes stared with rebuke at Ray now. She wore black slacks, a cream-colored lightweight cashmere sweater and flat black suede Earth shoes. She crossed her arms, pursed her lips, and tapped her foot. "Ray, have you been here all night again?"
"Yes," he replied, unaffected by his temporary partner's tone or demeanor.
Agent Milovich snatched the pictures from Ray's desk. "Go! Now!" she commanded. "If you make yourself sick, you'll be of no use to anybody. I can see by the expression on your face you have another migraine. You look like shit! Get some rest, and for God's sake, shower and shave. Do that for me. I have to smell you."
Ray rubbed his head again and spoke softly. "Chris, I can't have another body turn up." He picked up the picture of the nun as it escaped her hands. "I knew her personally. Sister Mary Michael taught Sunday school when I was a boy. Who would wanna hurt this woman? Or any of them? It's just that this does make it more personal, and I don't have a clue." He finished with despair in his voice. He ran his fingers through his hair and puffed out his exasperation in one long breath.
Christine softened her tone. "Ray, get some sleep. We'll get this bastard. I promise. But right now, you need to rest."
"I know," he submitted. "I'll go to the locker room and sleep a while. And I promise to shower and shave before I come back."
She shooed him on with a little hand motion. Ray went to the back of the facility where each police officer had a locker. Several cots stood for use during disaster times. They had been moved in after Hurricane Katrina. He plunked onto the nearest one and instantly fell asleep.
A strange, disconcerting dream floated into his subconscious as often happened. He dreamed about himself, or thought it was himself. Although the person looked just like Ray, it was someone entirely different.

♣♣♣
Ray woke to the gentle shaking of Christine Milovich and her voice insisting, "Wake up."
He opened his eyes slowly and squinted against the harsh glare of the overhead florescent lights. His headache lingered. "How long have I been asleep?" he asked, a little dazed.
"Only a couple of hours," his partner replied. "I'm sorry to wake you, but another woman has disappeared."
"Fuck!" Ray rubbed his forehead and neck. "Just shoot me and put me out of my misery. This is real pain, Chris, a real pain."



Cover by Christopher Chambers.
How I see Chris:


No comments:

Post a Comment