Saturday, June 15, 2019

Inspiration 2



The Raifords? What inspired them? My daughter, Mary Catherine (Mcat) Perry. Here's the story:

I am fascinated by the human psyche, which could explain my degree in psychology. So, my original plan was for one book in which Raiford Reynolds was both detective and killer--two distinct personalities with no knowledge of each other.

My daughter read the first original three chapters of Lucky Thirteen, and slung the pages across the room saying, "Momma, if you make Ray a killer, I'll never read another thing you write."

Being just as fascinated by the documented instances of the supernatural connection between twins separated at birth, the story took a new direction and resulted in four books and a Faulkner Wisdom Competition top 20 placement with the third book, Broken.

2
A Real Pain

Detective Raiford Reynolds groaned, rubbed his temples, opened his desk drawer, and snatched his prescription for Amidrine. "Damn it! I don't wanna take this. I can't afford to go to sleep right now. This shit always knocks me out."
As keyed up as he was, he half expected a voice to answer him. In the last two hours, he had already taken four Advil, three aspirin, and three extra-strength Tylenol. Nothing was left but to take the Amidrine, even if it meant passing out for a few hours. The last time his head had hurt this much had been when he pulled an all-nighter studying for his last final at Louisiana State University. He had partied far too much with his fraternity brothers at Delta Tau Delta to study in a reasonable fashion. "I'm surprised I graduated," he grunted. No, this headache is worse, but I brought both of them on myself from lack of sleep and pushing my body further than it needs to be pushed.
These damned headaches had prevented him from playing football as much as he liked the sport and had wanted to play. He had managed baseball and golf. His body took less pounding, and his doctor would only release him to play non-contact sports in school. A stabbing ache like an ice pick through his temple shot from one side of his head to the other. The pain was becoming unbearable; the Amidrine, inevitable.
But what of my ridiculous headache? Detective Reynolds was certain his migraine, even if it was the worst one he had experienced during his three years as a detective, was nothing compared to the agony the twelve women in the pictures before him must have endured. Besides, he would be feeling a different kind of hurt, unemployment, if he didn't solve this case, and soon. The chief had personally said, "Ray, you're the best detective I have. This is an election year. Get this mess solved! I don't need this, and neither do you."
The chief's declaration had come after the seventh body was discovered. Now, there were twelve. Oh, yes, Chief Gerard is feeling the sting of an election-year nightmare—a serial killer. The mayor is on the chief's back. And, oh, yes, misery loves company. The chief definitely intimated that if he's out, I am, too.
But what kind of pain is that? It's not real suffering. Looking at the pictures again, a wave of nausea swept over him. He couldn't be sure whether the nausea was caused by the persistent migraine or the crime scene photos, but he determined to get his headache under control. He had no choice. He had to take the Amidrine.
Ray looked at the drink machine in the hallway. Maybe if I take the damned pill with a Red Bull, I can get a couple of more hours before I zonk.
He stood and stretched to his full six-foot height. He clutched the prescription bottle and chuckled as another voice came to his memory. Ray could hear his mother, "Raiford Michael Reynolds, stand up and stop slouching! You'll get a hump in your back. We might be Catholic, but I don't want you to be known as The Hunchback of Notre Dame. One of your ancestors, also called Raiford, was a knight who fought in the Crusades. Straighten that spine and show pride in the person you are."
Ray knew he always slouched when he was stressed. What would Mom say if she could see me now? This case is more than a hunch in my back. It's enough to bend me double, maybe break my back. So what if my namesake was Sir Raiford Reynolds? It's not really my blood anyway. After all, I'm adopted. I've always known I was born in the charity ward of Catholic Charity Hospital. My birth mother was a street-walking drug addict who went by the name of Audrey—real or not, I don't know, nor do I really care. I've been blessed to have been adopted by Albert and Dorothy Reynolds. They've given me a good life.
He looked down at his desk again and puffed out a remorseful sigh as the top picture, the second victim, burned into his brain, and a throb like a hot bullet shot through his head. He slammed his chair into his desk, stomped to the drink machine, got a Red Bull, and popped two Amidrine into his mouth, washing them down with the entire Red Bull without a breath. He tossed the can into the wastebasket and made a stop in the restroom.
Ray washed his face and wet down his short soot-black hair. He leaned on the lavatory and gasped when he saw himself in the mirror. He touched strands of gray near his temple. Although somewhat thin at hundred eight-five pounds, he was by no means skinny, but his face looked gaunt. He had an athlete's body and worked to preserve it three or four days a week at the gym, but visits lately had been few and far between. A good workout would go a long way toward relieving this damned headache. His two-day stubble made him look older than his thirty years. The blood-shot whites of his eyes and dark circles beneath his lower eyelids made his startlingly sapphire-blue irises look even bluer and more outstanding against his rather fair complexion and black hair. He noticed a coffee stain on his white button-down shirt. Ray grunted. "No, Mom wouldn't holler at me. She'd probably slap me." Then, again, I can't remember having ever been slapped.
He shook his wet hair like a dog and returned to the deserted office area. He turned the crime scene photos face down and whispered, "I can't look at you deceased right now." He then picked up the photos of the twelve dead women from when they were still alive. "Maybe living," he muttered. The detective put them in order of their deaths and stared at them as if hoping one of them would speak to him.
He reviewed in his mind: Twelve women are dead in less than a year. The M.O. is the same. All had their throats slit. Almost all the blood was drained from their bodies. They were all obviously bound as evidenced from the bruising on their wrists. There was a different emblem painted over each ones' shaved pubic area, but there was no sexual assault. Moreover, none appeared to have been abused except for having been tied up. All were placed in the cemetery in the normal position a dead body would be laid in a coffin, and they were all wearing what could have been a white wedding dress. On the other hand, they have absolutely nothing in common.
Serial killers usually pick a type, but my victims range from a fifty-five-year-old white nun to a sixteen-year-old black high school student, with various ages and races in between. There's no socioeconomic attachment either. Nothing makes sense.

Ray glanced at the white board against the wall where he had recorded vital information on each victim and their last known movements and whereabouts. He grabbed the badly dog-eared chart he had made and reviewed it. He had numbered the women in order and written the most important information: name, race, age, physical description, date missing and date of death, and the blasted symbols. He grunted as he looked at his chicken scratch. "Maybe it's the dates. Some are holidays. But what are the others?"




♣♣♣

"Come on!" He slammed the chart onto his desk. "Gimme a break! Speak to me!" he screamed.
Ray heard the response he had been expecting earlier. He looked up to see Special Agent Christine Milovich, the singular, but only, help the FBI had sent when Ray requested assistance at Easter. Chris was pretty and athletically built. Ray knew she never lacked male companionship for several of the patrolmen had asked her out since she had been there. She was almost as tall as Ray and wore her dishwater blonde hair short. Her soft brown eyes stared with rebuke at Ray now. She wore black slacks, a cream-colored lightweight cashmere sweater and flat black suede Earth shoes. She crossed her arms, pursed her lips, and tapped her foot. "Ray, have you been here all night again?"
"Yes," he replied, unaffected by his temporary partner's tone or demeanor.
Agent Milovich snatched the pictures from Ray's desk. "Go! Now!" she commanded. "If you make yourself sick, you'll be of no use to anybody. I can see by the expression on your face you have another migraine. You look like shit! Get some rest, and for God's sake, shower and shave. Do that for me. I have to smell you."
Ray rubbed his head again and spoke softly. "Chris, I can't have another body turn up." He picked up the picture of the nun as it escaped her hands. "I knew her personally. Sister Mary Michael taught Sunday school when I was a boy. Who would wanna hurt this woman? Or any of them? It's just that this does make it more personal, and I don't have a clue." He finished with despair in his voice. He ran his fingers through his hair and puffed out his exasperation in one long breath.
Christine softened her tone. "Ray, get some sleep. We'll get this bastard. I promise. But right now, you need to rest."
"I know," he submitted. "I'll go to the locker room and sleep a while. And I promise to shower and shave before I come back."
She shooed him on with a little hand motion. Ray went to the back of the facility where each police officer had a locker. Several cots stood for use during disaster times. They had been moved in after Hurricane Katrina. He plunked onto the nearest one and instantly fell asleep.
A strange, disconcerting dream floated into his subconscious as often happened. He dreamed about himself, or thought it was himself. Although the person looked just like Ray, it was someone entirely different.



6
Compassionate Captive

Larkin started awake as the door to her prison creaked. "Hello?" she ventured into the darkness. The sliver of window told her another gray dawn was approaching.
"I brought you some breakfast," said the voice from the night before. "Are you all right? Do you need anything?"
"I need to go home."
"Sorry. I can't grant that wish." The man came closer. "I hope you like sausage biscuits. I brought coffee and orange juice. Cream and sugar?"
"Just cream—three."
"Want some coffee with your milk?" The man's voice sounded light, almost laughing. He offered her a Styrofoam cup.
She pretended not to be able to reach the cup. "I can't reach it. Can you come closer?"
"Really? Why? Do you want to see my face? Latrice wouldn't like that."
"Who's Latrice?"
"She tells me what to do. She told me how to get you here and what to do to keep you here and how to take care of you. She told me what to make you for dinner last night. Was it done right?"
"It was delicious. Thank you so much." She didn't try to keep the sarcasm out of her voice. "Do you always listen to Latrice?"
"I just started hearing her a couple of weeks ago."
"I see," Larkin said, realizing she might be dealing with a mentally unstable person. She walked as far as her leash would allow. "I really can't reach it. See?"
Larkin heard relief in the man's voice as he said, "I guess your chain is a little short."
"It does reach the bathroom though," she said, trying to draw him into a conversation. "But it's not really a bathroom. How am I supposed to bathe?"
"I…I don't know. Latrice didn't say."
The man took a couple of steps closer, but kept his face averted as he handed her a sausage biscuit and a cup of coffee.
"I appreciate it," she said honestly.
"Can you carry your juice, too?"
"Um." She balanced the biscuit on top of the cup. "Sure."
The man turned to leave. Larkin said, "Please don't go. Stay and talk to me for a little while. Have breakfast with me. I don't like to eat alone."
"But you live alone."
"Ah, but my cat always has breakfast with me." Larkin could not help but feel the lonely melancholy as she thought of breakfasting only with Cyclops and the last time she had been with him, she hadn't even been able to do that.
"I had a dog when I was a kid," the man said guardedly. "He was a golden retriever. His name was Dawg, D-A-W-G. I named him Dog, you know like in Big Jake. John Wayne's dog was just Dog, but I spelled it D-A-W-G because he was a Southern dog."
"What happened to him?"
"He was in the back of my dad's truck when my dad and my little sister, Ronnie—Rhonda—hit a deer. Dad lost control, and they were all killed. I was thirteen." He paused. "Sometimes Dawg still comes to show me the way to go."
"I'm sorry. You know, my parents were killed in a wreck when I was five. We have something in common." She had a fleeting thought, Another Son of Sam? Oh, my God, he's listening to a dead dog. "Cyclops is all alone. He might starve without me," she said, hoping to gain sympathy for her pet as leverage.
"I have to go. I'm not supposed to talk to you." The man stopped slouching and headed for the door again.
Larkin surmised he was about six feet tall. He wore jeans and a hooded sweatshirt, utilizing the hood over his head to shield his face. It was hard to gauge his weight with the shirt on, but he seemed thin, not skinny, but perhaps buff.
"Why can't you talk to me?" she asked, desperate to keep her captor talking.
"Latrice says your voice is strong, and you'll only confuse me."
"I don't want to confuse you. I just want to know why someone as nice as you has me chained to a bed. Are you going to rape me or kill me?"
"Neither! I would never do that," the man said in a frightened voice. "I don't want to do anything to you. Latrice wants you."
"What does Latrice say she wants with me?"
"She says you're the last. You're supposed to purify this country and bring forth a leader to stop the chaos."
"How am I supposed to do that?" Her stomach roiled.
"I don't know. Latrice didn't say." A well manicured hand massaged the man's temple area as if he were getting a headache.
"Let me ask you something. How can a person do anything if she doesn't even know Latrice? When will she be coming to meet me?"
"On your special day." He dropped his hand to his side.
"The day I'm to die like twelve other women? You said you wouldn't hurt me."
"No! No!" the man said. Clearly agitated, he clenched his fists against his thighs.
"Latrice wants to hurt me, but you don't. Don't listen to her. Listen to me."
"Stop!" the man screamed as he put his hands over his ears. "Too many voices. I am getting a headache."
Larkin spoke softly. "I'm sorry. If you can't listen to me, listen to Dawg. Where would he lead you?"
The man said pathetically, "You don't understand. There are so many voices. It's a cacophony. Latrice said if I listen to her, the voices will stop."
"How many voices were there before Latrice?"
"Do you really care?"
"Yes."
"A lot before I started taking pills. Then, not so many."
"Are you taking your pills?"
"No." He shook his head. "Latrice said she could make the voices stop without them."
"She lied. Don't listen to her anymore."
"I would do anything to stop the voices."
"Anything?"
"Yes."
"Would you take your pills even though Latrice says not to?"
"I have to get some more."
"Get some and come back and talk to me. I can't promise the voices will leave, but I will try to help you. I swear it."
A strained silence lingered several moments. "Why would you want to help me if you think I want to hurt you?" he asked barely above a whisper.
"You don't want to hurt me. Latrice does. She wants to hurt you, too. She is hurting you right now by not giving you your medication. You need it."
"I can't go back to the health department to get the pills."
Larkin could tell she was getting through to the man. "Why?"
"Latrice is there."
"Is Latrice's voice there?"
"No, she's there."
"Is Latrice here?"
"No!" The man's agitation elevated. "Latrice is not a voice, Larkin. She's real. She'll be so mad I talked to you."
"Don't tell her. Do you know where the free clinic run by Charity Chapel is located?"
"Yes."
"They'll take care of you. Tell them Larkin sent you."
The man began to pace. "I have to get out of here. I have to stop the voices." He headed for the door.
"Please!" Larkin shouted.
"Please what? Listen to your voice? Let you help?" The peculiar man came into the small patch of light very close to her, and she looked into the bluest eyes she had ever seen—the same eyes she had seen in her dream, yet not the same. These eyes were lost, begging to be found. Though they had deep dark circles, this man's eyes were breathtaking.
Without thinking, she reached out and touched his cheek. She whispered, "No, follow Dawg. I'm sure he'll lead you to safety. If you don't think you can trust me, trust him. Maybe he's your guardian angel."
Blue eyes backed away and left Larkin alone.
She put her hand to her mouth and closed her eyes. She prayed. Oh, God, is he crazy? Please, God, send an angel to guide him. He's in so much pain, so much trouble. Please, protect him. Show me how to help him.
Something about the man made her feel deep compassion for him. Larkin could not help but think something about this man just did not add up. He looks and smells like a street urchin, but the clothes he has on, although dirty, are top-line. She had recognized the Diadora logo on the sweatshirt. Only serious athletes wear that. The jeans are American Eagle, top-line mall apparel. His speech patterns are educated and cultured; his vocabulary, amazing. And he also looks vaguely familiar. Where have I seen him?
She rubbed her own temple. She lay back and gave into sleep once more. Again, she dreamed of blue eyes, but this time Cyclops was with the blue eyes. The eyes seemed more focused, more determined.

How I picture my characters:


Raiford--These are the actual eyes used on the cover.
Raifords at 30


No comments:

Post a Comment