Sunday, July 12, 2020

Ode to a Dragon


"Ode to a Dragon," Finalist, Faulkner Wisdom Competition, 2012

Ode to a Dragon

I

You fill the mind with mystery and lore.
Some say you existed in days of yore.
I can’t be sure. I was not there before
The stories were changed, embellished; therefore,
Creating beast, monster, god of war.

II

‘Tis a pity to have killed such a thing.
To see you, touch you would make my heart sing.
Your accolades and terrors still do ring,
Your praises and threats of massive spread wing,
Making you a lord, a master, a king.

III

For most today you are no more than myth.
For those who believe, our spirits are kith.
What you were fills imagination’s fifth.
Bards’ words sung: hard scales. Stronger still your pith—
Your majesty, might, the awe you fought with.

IV

Legend tells us that your downfall was greed.
Your desire for gain planted evil seed.
You became a scourge that made man to bleed,
It was your thirst for glory that, indeed,
Unleashed your power, your fury, your need.

V

As Satan you are described in Scripture.
Such a horror past? What will be your future?
The Bible places in the heart mixture,
And in mind paints quite a bleak picture,
Imprint of malice, of dread, of fissure.

VI

Could a creature so splendid be cruel?
Must you with all mankind strive and duel?
Pagan and pious feed fire with fuel
Of your menacing, dominant, hard rule—
Perhaps a treasure, a gem, a jewel.

VII

That you were misjudged I pray in my heart.
Your mystique caused awe from the very start.
My line finds not you to pierce like a dart,
Or person or character to be tart.
This I see for my piece, my say, my part.

VIII

You are a Celtic guardian, a godsend.
The foes of comrades you surely could rend.
For an ally you might fight and defend;
A Celt sustain, uphold, and help to mend
As if a father, a brother, a friend.

IX

The Chinese paint you as a glowing sight;
Respect and honor your power and might.
You manifest fantastical and bright,
Shining, piercing the deep darkness of night
As a vision, a protector, a light.

X

For some you are a conquering hero.
Even now, your praise they sing and bestow.
The fire in your eyes, your mouth all aglow
Make respect in the hearts of men to show
Whether you be a fiend, a friend, a foe.

XI

Me? I believe you are a champion,
Perhaps, even angel and companion.
In my honest, but humble, opinion
To influence you need not a minion
To assert control, sway, dominion.

XII

Your are magical I choose to believe.
In no way would you me trick or deceive.
Contrarily, what you did was to leave
Within desire your knowledge to achieve,
Your wisdom to take, accept, and receive.

XIII

You now know the doctrine which I do choose.
You have been my inspiration, my muse.
Now invisible, none can you accuse
Of having influence upon my views.
Neither me coerce, me force, me abuse.

XIV

This word scripted, I hope all will agree:
You are by far something I wish to see.
My heart knows honest and good you would be,
Not evil, dealing underhandedly;
Nay, no doubt, you are strong and proud and free.

XV

Until such a time as this should occur,
All you can be to my mind is a blur.
Still it would seem that all men can concur
Without any fleeting conscience or err
Fanciful thoughts you cause, you make, you stir.

XVI

I shall sleep tonight; dream of you, perchance.
My heart will leap for joy; my spirit dance.
In all you would never leave me to chance
My soul with your strength and powerful stance
You would endow, would imbue, would enhance.

XVII
Magical enigma you ever don!
Mystery last eon upon eon!
May your fantasy linger on and on,
And wistful thoughts of you never be gone,
My sentinel, my watchman, my dragon!

No comments:

Post a Comment