Friday, June 21, 2019

Inspiration 9



Moving forward, let's look at the third book in The Raiford Chronicles. Again, my daughter was ready to kill ME at the end of Heartless. Killing a beloved character is heart-wrenching to an author. Characters become real to us. However, through real tears, it was necessary to kill one of my major characters to advance the story. The loss of a loved one leaves a person broken. But this story looks at overcoming grief and moving on with life--healing, though the love one will ALWAYS remain in heart and mind. And at times, the pain will surface, and new tear will be shed.

I lost my mother when I was 19, and I never really knew my father. As an only child, I felt terribly alone and broken. Still, I drew on my faith and got on with life. There were still times I felt that loss deeply--I had no mother at my wedding or a father to walk me down the aisle; I had no mother at the birth of my first child; my mother-in-law had to suffice, along with my aunt. Though loved, it was not the same.

In Broken, the Raifords must pick up the pieces of their lives after a devastating loss. And that first death is only the beginning. How they draw on their faith and rely on their family and friends make up the story line of Broken


1
A Shot in the Dark
Eau Boueuse, Louisiana
June 3, 2028
Laughing, Christine Gautier and her daughter, Trista, walked out of the strip mall, loaded with shopping bags. The sun hovered just on the horizon, casting darkening shadows across the parking lot. When they got to the brand new, small Honda SUV, Chris fumbled in her purse. "Here!" She tossed the car keys to her daughter who had just received her learner's permit that afternoon.
Running to the driver's side, Trista squealed and jumped up and down, accidentally hitting the panic button.
For a moment wreathed in a huge smile, Chris's face took on a shocked expression as she mumbled, "Raif."
The blaring horn muffled a loud pop. Chris slumped forward. Her face struck the passenger-side mirror, leaving a streak of blood.
Trista jumped backward as she watched her mother slide to the ground beside the passenger-side door.
For several seconds those around ducked and Trista stared straight ahead. Then, the girl's screams drowned out any other sound. She did not hear shouts of warning.
An older man near Trista ran to her and pulled her to the ground. "Get down, honey. Somebody is shooting."
"Mom!" she wailed. The man pulled out a phone and dialed for emergency assistance.
Mere minutes passed before police and paramedics arrived, but the entire parking area was shrouded in darkness. Detective Brian Baker got out of his unmarked car.
Seeing someone she knew, Trista jerked away from the stranger who had protected her and flew to the detective. "Mr. Baker! Help my mom! Help my mom!" Her hands fluttered in front of her.
"What?" He knitted his eyebrows together. "I'm calling her now. What are you doing here?"
Dialing his partner to meet him, he jerked his head to the side hearing the familiar ringtone of Chris Gautier's phone—"Oh, What a Beautiful Morning."
Brian looked down to see his partner in a pool of blood. "Oh, my God!" He rushed to her side, knelt, and felt for a pulse. "Oh, hell no!"
Trista dogged his steps. Baker dragged the girl away. He pulled Trista to him and called his boss, Chief Raiford Reynolds, who was also Christine Gautier's brother-in-law.

Cover by Christopher Chambers.

Visualizing my characters: Raifords at 50+, Christine, Trista, Brian Baker






2 comments:

  1. Yes, losing a character to a tragic death is devastating. They do become real. Your writing is so amazing that you can almost see the scene before us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are experiencing that grief now. I'm here to hold your hand.

      Delete