Thursday, July 23, 2020

Thank God for Daddies

I suppose if I write a memoir, it should start at the beginning. You can read more when The Little Book of Things Are so NOT Funny You Have to Laugh is finished.


(April 14, 1960) Thank God for Daddies
I have nothing at all against the name Mary! My maternal grandmother's first name was Mary (Mary Oseola, called Ola). My mother's first name was Mary (Mary Magdalene, called Magdalene). My daughter's first name is Mary (Mary Catherine d'Aubigné, lovingly called Mcat). Lord help me! My first grandchild's first name is Mary (Mary Anna d'Aubigné, called Sugar Plum, Wiggles, Mary Anna.) No, Mary is a fine name.
It was the middle name my mother wanted to give me that makes me cringe even today. OLINE (Pronounced Oh-Lean). Oh, my God! Can imagine in today's society how many times someone would have called me ''Online''?
Now, I know Momma wanted to honor her mother with a quasi-name like Ola. That's a sweet gesture. Why do you think there are so many Marys down the line? But Oline? That would have been reason to hide in shame. It would have been so NOT funny!

So, thank God my daddy wasn't drunk the night I was born. His name was Jesse Edward Taylor. I am so grateful his wisdom prevailed in naming me. Janet Elaine Taylor. I had the same initials as my daddy, the one thing I can brag about that he did for me. JET! I could soar high in the sky, streak across the firmament, leave a trail behind me. I only hope that I have done that and will continue to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment