Saturday, July 18, 2020

Shattered Dreams, Wounded Hearts, Broken Toys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k5DKcmKAwI

An excerpt from Last of an Exceptional Breed, coming soon for your reading pleasure.

19

Shattered Dreams, Wounded Hearts, Broken Toys


"Troy, Coach McClarty is right. Tell God all about it, ask His forgiveness, and trust in the work of Christ who lived the perfect life for us because we are unable to do so, was crucified as a blood sacrifice and atonement for our sins, and was raised again. However, confessing and talking to someone who understands can relieve the guilt and burden you bear. I've often heard it said that sometimes we need God with skin. That's what I offer my congregation as a servant of God. Why not tell me what's on your heart? Then, we can pray together. Sometimes it's easier with a little guidance. Troy, I wasn't always a kindly old man who serves God. I was a hellion in my younger days, too. Talk to me. You'll feel better."

"First, confess your sins, and, yes, it is sin, not mistakes. Admit it to yourself and to God. Ask His forgiveness and have faith. 

Troy nodded penitently. "I want to have faith, but I'm a strong-willed person. I can't change that."
"God doesn't expect you to change everything overnight. As a matter of fact, most of your personality traits don't need to change at all. You just need to focus your energies in a new direction. From the visit we've had tonight, I can tell that you're not the hellion you want everyone to believe you are. Actually, part of you is still a scared little boy. You're a good man, Troy Tomerson. Just let the Lord guide you."
Troy agreed, "I want to."
"Then, put it in God's hands and wait. I think Renée is your shattered dream, wounded heart, and broken toy all rolled into one."
"What about the dragons? Do you think I'm crazy?"
"No. A long time ago I had a dream in which a florescent green dragon visited me. She told me to minister to the needs of the people. It was weird because many Christians see dragons as evil beings, but I listened. I was never happier than when I did what I was told to do. No, Troy, listen to your dragon's advice. Perhaps, you're 'entertaining angels unawares.'"
Troy laughed softly. "I never thought of it like that. Will you pray with me now? I think I need to get some sleep."
The old man of God prayed for the young man with a child's faith, and Troy went home. He began attending services at the little church where he had found his faith as often as possible with his schedule. That night, although sure of himself, Troy still had an uneasy feeling in his spirit regarding Renée. After lying awake for quite a while, Troy whispered aloud, "Okay, God. I give her to You. Whatever happens, I will wait upon You. I love her, Lord, but You know best. Please, send Your angels to watch over her. Help me keep faith. Amen."
Finally, Troy slept.

No comments:

Post a Comment