Tuesday, July 21, 2020

A Touch of Evil

Excerpt from Last of an Exceptional Breed, Chapter 34-"A Touch of Evil"

Anticipated release date, August 1, 2020


Rennin, Gerald, and Bobby left the hospital with heavy hearts. Jennifer had been raped, and her parents were angry, but their anger seemed to be about the fact they were inconvenienced. Bobby whispered to Rennin, "Coach, would you think I was crazy if I told you I think one of the women there tonight was Jen's mom?"
"You must be mistaken. I cannot believe a mother would let that happen to her daughter, let alone participate in it."
The trio entered the O'Rourke home near dawn to find Renée, Jacques, and Casey anxiously awaiting news. Rennin sent Bobby off to bed and told his family what had occurred.
By the light of day, Rennin, Renée, and Jacques revisited the gristmill. Rennin and Renée stood aghast at the grisly sight they beheld. However, Jacques seemed unperturbed. Rennin said to him, "This doesn't shock you?"
"No," replied Jacques. "I have seen zis many times een my country. I am amazed to see eet here."
Constable Dubois rushed to the three people who had entered the gristmill waving his arms madly. "You can't be in here. This is a crime scene."
Rennin waved his hand at the man in a gesture of ignoring him and said, "I need to be here right now."
A bit dismayed the constable stammered, "Yes, yes. Mr. O'Rourke and his companions need to be here right now."
Jacques's expression caught Rennin's eye. "What?" asked Rennin.
"Zhou have zee geeft."
"What gift?"
"To sway zee mind."
Rennin shook his head and spoke to Constable Dubois. "I want to look around. Don't bother me."
The constable ordered, "Mr. O'Rourke needs to look around. Stay out of his way."
Jacques gave Rennin a look that said, "I told you so."
The three would-be sleuths began their inquiry into the site. In the center of the room and splattered with blood was the pentagram just as Bobby had said. Decapitated chickens littered the area, and the stench was already becoming pungent, even in the chilly air on November 1st.  Suspended from the ceiling was the baphomet.  An altar of sorts was situated against the wall. An upside down cross adorned the altar and a stone table sat in front of it. On the table lay a dagger and grail.
Jacques broke the silence. "Zese zeengs were not put here for one Halloween party. I would say zhou have a very sereeous coven een zhour meedst. Zis ees more zan a touch of eveel. Zis ees a serious perversion of even zee darkest practeeces of Santeria."
Turning to leave, Rennin looked down. Inside the grail lay an onyx cuff link. Rennin carefully picked it up. Monogrammed into the onyx were the initials J.W.
Rennin said, "I know this evil well. Renée, he knows I'm alive. This travesty was meant to let me know. My God! When Gerald warned me James had underworld ties, I thought he meant the Mafia. It's much worse. We are talking about The Underworld, Hell itself."

No comments:

Post a Comment